Saturday, June 30, 2007

Vespa World Heritage...

The road to Mỹ Sơn was made more interesting as there was a tourism festival going on, which involved a bicycle race. Naturally I was completely unaware of this, and totally by chance (like most of life) I ran into the back of the bike race just as it was beginning. So the last 30 km to Mỹ Sơn were slow driving, with crowds of motorbikes following just for the spectacle, and crowds of locals lining the road yelling hello and, I suppose, scratching their heads at why people would want to ride bicycle that far that fast... Anyway, I didn't have to worry about getting lost - following the crowd is the safest way to drive here, and in this case it was also the right road, an added bonus!

In addition to the bicycle race was a Vespa Convention. I don't know that much about Vespas, but living in Vietnam I have developed a certain liking for motorbikes, and my weakness for vehicles with 'character' goes back to when I was like 13, hanging desperately on to the back seat of my brothers' VW Beatle waiting for it to disintegrate around me... So, the Vespa Convention:




It's the retro version of retro woodgrain.

Che travels


To make up for all the motorbikes in Vietnam that don't have
mirrors or lights or horns.

No comments: