Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cua Dai Beach


Café sữa đá, dừa, and the South China Sea


My favorite boats in Vietnam - overgrown baskets, basically, that are waterproofed somehow. They get thrown on fishing boats for extras I guess, and I've seen them off the coast so far I can barely see what they are, a six or eight foot diameter basket propelled by an oar that is just stuck in the water and wiggled, like you might wiggle a shovel when you are leaning on it talking to your neighbor, only presumably this wiggling involves more work, because it actually propels your basket through the water. I have not tried that, myself, but rowing something that is round would take some technique, it seems.


The people selling stuff on the beach were great fun to practice my Vietnamese on. Unfortunately for my wallet they were good enough at what they do that my Vietnamese practice usually involved buying something, but that isn't a bad thing. Pineapples, lichees, biscuits, nuts, peanut-sesame candy, Tiger balm, suntan lotion, mangos, bananas, deck of cards, bootleg Pringles ... and a big smile!
One guy selling stuff was telling me about the $60 an hour jetski rentals at the resort further down the beach. He seemed quite amused by the idea. $60 is enough for a month, he said, to study and buy beer and have a lot of fun too! Then he laughed.


Outside DaNang

No comments: