Thursday, February 05, 2009

Me Staying in One Place

Having returned from Kenya and been back in Ho Chi Minh City for a good four days now, I've been sort of reading the paper and, you know, thinking about going somewhere else... I mean really, shouldn't I take advantage of my current lack of work and make it an opportunity to go somewhere? It is a worn bit of logic that has taken me many places, I guess.

Given that state of mind, I was reading an article about Laos. Incidentally, about Bill Lair, who was the subject of a quite good book which I read long, long ago, called Shooting at the Moon: The Story of America's Clandestine War in Laos. Which was reminding me, not of war history and all that, but of the very fun time I had in Laos when I was there. So on that note, let me just announce to everybody that I'm still in Ho Chi Minh and I haven't gone anywhere else.

Yet.

A film I want to see: Pray the Devil Back to Hell. A documentary from Liberia under Charles Taylor. I won't say anything more about it cause that is really all I know. Just thought I'd say I want to see it, so if anybody has a chance to see it, do that and let me know if it's worth buying!

And speaking of films, just before I left for Kenya I saw a Vietnamese film that is truly worth seeing, Owl and the Sparrow. It is a bit sappy at times, the final scene leaves you in a saccharine haze obscuring the authenticity developed through the film, but that last scene stands out precisely because the rest of the film is so well done. The colors are vibrant, the filming is close and intimate. Which is a nice way of saying that it effectively captures the way life is in the middle of Saigon, claustrophobic and frenetic while, at the same time, strangely placid. Check it out!

No comments: