Friday, November 12, 2010

Hanoi - Back on the Street

Back in Hanoi, the rhythm of the streets rolls on without a pause. I think it is one of the most appealing, even addicting, aspects of the city for me, this endless stream of unadulterated, undecorated, raw life ebbing and flowing on every street. Most notable is the buying and selling, but at core, it is mostly about simple population density. Nearly everything that people do gets done on the street. For myself, however, what gets done on the street is largely just observation. Study and work are most successfully pursued in a place with fewer distractions. I suppose it speaks to the quietness of my life before Vietnam, my inability to block out the blindingly vibrant activity to focus on my own task. In any case, it is a manageable and pleasant addiction to cultivate!











No comments: