Saturday, February 24, 2007

Another book to recommend - The Devil That Danced On The Water: A Daughter’s Memoir, by Aminatta Forna. The story of a girl growing up in Sierra Leone (some of the time) after independence, of her family, and her country. There is a fine balance between the personal and the political elements of the story, both of which are worth reading independently. I guess I’m getting old – when I was on the other side of Africa in Mozambique in 1997 I remember meeting someone from Freetown, whose family was still there. Seems like very long time ago! In any case, it is an arresting book regardless of ones connections to Sierra Leone, or Africa in general.

I think it says something about me, that when I was in America last I was reading loads of books about Vietnam, of course. Now that I am back in Vietnam I am reading about America and Africa... I suppose what it says is that I am chronically unsatisfied. Or maybe I will call it perpetually curious - that has a much more positive ring! Language is not a science, obviously or I would not have a job being an editor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've always admired the way u use ur language which reflects the richness of your soul

Emilie

Anh Duoi Ga said...

Thank you - but actually it just reflects the fact that I read too much since "real" life always ends up making me feel constricted.

Anonymous said...

no no not constricted.
literature teaches us about dimensions of society and of ourselves in ways that often penetrate more deeply into our consciousness and our lives than other vehicles of knowledge.
u feel constricted because u understand life deeper.
dont u think so? :)

Emilie