Saturday, November 18, 2006

Notes from the news

In Vietnam News an article titled "Ceremony Held to Mark Teacher's Day in Hanoi" about exactly that. Except for the second paragraph: "Nhan (Minister of Education) went on to criticize a small group of teachers in the educational system who were not sufficiently devoted to their jobs." Now this has nothing to do with my school or with me, but you know, I thought it fit anyway! Having take the last three weeks off from teaching I am wide open to criticism of being insufficiently devoted. As a result of my sorely insufficient devotion, I'm in the process of getting another job (in addition to teaching, not replacing it entirely) editing the news. I usually read the news anyway, and am always amused at the gauche English that pops up here and there, so I thought it might be a good fit. We'll see about that.

In the classroom, indeed most places here, as far as I can tell, whenever you need to decide something of no real importance you play rock, paper scissors. The street kids in Saigon are great at winning change from you using this game. Apparently there are actual rules and contests for this thing, sport, game whatever, cause there is now a world champion. And, although I'm not sure I remember seeing it, apparently people in the states play this game too because the champion is British and he played somebody from the states... This is important, see, news should make you wrinkle your forehead. If you just nod and say "I expected that" it's not news, is it? So read the details here.


And in 'real' news, something quirky which made me look twice:
General Vo Nguyen Giap yesterday received the Chilean President at his home in
Ha Noi. Giap said though far apart, Viet Nam and Chile were united in striving for peace, protecting national independence and freedom.
Like Viet Nam, Chile was a heroic nation that experienced major struggles to build the prosperous country of today.
Bachelet expressed her happiness in meeting the general, who was instrumental in Viet Nam’s resounding victory in the fight against aggressors.
Giap also presented two books, "Unforgettable Days" in Spanish and "Ho Chi Minh Thought and the Viet Nam Revolution Path," to Bachelet. (link)

Now if my memory of history class serves me correctly, Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap cut his teeth a long time ago, being credited with the strategy giving Vietnam victory in Dien Bien Phu against the French in 1954. Not to mention the rest of the war(s) in and of Vietnam since then. He is currently around 94 years old, I believe. When I'm 94, if I make it that far, I'll probably be happy to sit around smoking a pipe on my porch and giving books to my grandkids (if I make it that far...), entertaining foreign presidents must be tiring!

I know people who collect foreign stamps, foreign money (money in general for that matter,) foreign addresses, foreign hats etc. All good, whatever floats your boat. Notice the list of flags on the right sidebar of my blog - this is my collection. It's pretty much the only thing I collect because I don't have to carry them around, and I don't have to do anything to collect them, only watch them pile up. Latest additions are Turkey, the Russian Federation and the United Arab Emirates. Put your mouse on the flag and you should get a map of the place. Maps make me happy. I think my Dad did that to me. Maps also make me poor!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

About the paper, rock, scissors issue: there is indeed an international championship and it is held every October in Toronto.
In fact, I was a competitor in 2005 and didn't do too horribly for myself. The grand prize is $10,000 Canadian, which granted, is about enough to order a pizza in the States, but is a 5-figure number nonetheless.
Team Britain is good and they're tough to beat, but they are a bunch of assholes. That I will swear to.