Monday, June 19, 2006

Big news, little news

Here is a link to a very interesting article from the Times on Vietnam-US relations in light of Chinese influence in SE Asia. A topic I read a lot about while I was studying here, it is fascinating and aside from being informative, the article has a good picture of the sea of motorbikes that is pretty much any major street in Ho Chi Minh City, or here in Hanoi. I'm trying to imagine the mess if people start buying Harley's instead of old pseudo-Hondas. And the franchise they mention, Pho 24, is truly something different, that I didn't see here three years ago. In spite of it being compared to Mcdonald's, I actually like it a lot. Less character, more consistent. I guess that is McDonalds...

And, in my small world, I got a job. More on that later after I've actually started working and can talk intelligently about it. I do hope, however, to do better than the $640 per capita income quoted in the above article...

­Ðọc đi làm vui - Read and be happy (VERY loosely, for anybody who actually knows Vietnamese)

No comments: